Saturday, August 28, 2010

Stage 3 - Acrylic

Stage 1 (cast) and 2 (backdrop) are done. Just one more to go
The Acrylic! 
Why acrylic? For this piece I wanted a custom shape and I wanted it light weight for hanging on the wall.

I took the same pattern I used for the back drop and trimmed about 1 inch around for the new pattern.

Placed it on a nice sheet of 1/4" think acrylic.

2 outlines ready to be cut out.

For the acrylic, I use the big band saw.
The paper on the table is to eliminate scratching while I'm cutting and I can see my marks better. Dark marks on a dark table makes it tough.

And just like that, they are cut out. Spent some time sanding the edges to make them smooth. 

I took the pieces to the drafting table. I cover them with a clear vinyl covering.

I then copied the design on the vinyl. I take a sharp exacto knife and cut around the design, then remove the extra vinyl. 

Tomorrow is sand blasting and hopefully assembly! So close.

1 comment: