Sunday, July 31, 2011

Glass Design

Lets tie up a loose end. After showing the metal design process, here is the final outcome:

Visual FX did a great job. I certainly will be back. If you need anything label, banner, display wise, talk to them, they are great.

GLASS
Glass design is similar to the metal, but I do it myself.
I design what I want on the computer, based on photographs from the Boston Ave. Church.

I then print out the design on the printer. 

After adding clear vinyl to the glass. I trace the design in red. After it is drawn out, I hand cut the design with a sharp xacto.

I have a blasting cabinet in the shop, but for anything larger than 2 feet long, I have to move my operations to the "Blasting Cave." The cave is outside so even though it looks dark, this was actually done at 8am before it got so hot outside I would melt. 

1 hour and 50lbs. of glass beads later, the design is etched in. The blue background is tape I place on the opposite side to protect the glass and it helps see the blasting process. 

Detail shot. 

Okay, Its time to sand, sand and sand. After that, its a big puzzle to put together. I will post more this week leading up to this Friday's opening of Oh Tulsa at the Livings Arts Gallery in Tulsa where this piece will make it's debut. Come on out and thanks for reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment