Saturday, July 9, 2011

New Scuplture for a New Show

Greetings everyone. 
I know it has been a while since I posted, but I thought my new project is worthy of me dusting off the virtual dust from my blog and let you follow along as I try to create a new 5 foot sculpture in a ridiculously little amount of time.

So what is it? I have been honored enough to be included in "Oh Tulsa" opening August 5, 2011 at Living Arts of Tulsa . This art/media show has the theme (what else?) TULSA!!!! It will be curated by Melanie Fry with Cynthia Marcoux as co-curator.

I have always loved art deco design and many of my previous sculptures have shown my deco side, but I'm jumping in feet first with this one. 

My muse:
(A church? Yes, my Mom will be proud)
Built in 1929, credit for the building’s design is still debated. One account credits Tulsa art teacher Adah Robinson, while others credit her former student, Bruce Goff. The exterior is decorated with numerous terra cotta sculptures by the Denver sculptor, Robert Garrison.

Specifically:
Above the south entrance are the equestrian Circuit Riders. Two of the three riders represent historic individuals, Bishop Francis Asbury, the first American Methodist bishop and Bishop William McKendrie, while the third figure, the one in the center, is symbolic of all the other men of God who did His bidding from horseback. The face on this rider was created by Garrison using the church minister's father-in-law, the Rev. T.L. Darnell. Rev. Darnell had in fact been a circuit rider for half a century.
 
I wanted to focus on one rider and chose Rev. Darnell. I wanted to challenge myself and I have not done a person in any of my sculptures. I love this style of deco architecture and thought I could try out a couple new techniques while putting my spin on it.
Here's an even closer look at Rev. Darnell

So what's the plan?
After weeks of drawing and scaling everything. "The Equestrian" will be a 5 foot free standing sculpture made from 10 layers of 3/4" wood stained to match the terra cotta color with the main image media blasted into glass with the horse and accent panels laser cut from brushed metal. 
 
Oh and the deadline? It must be dropped off at Living Arts on July 31st. 
Let the insanity begin and look for updates all month long.
Thanks!

No comments:

Post a Comment