Monday, October 10, 2011

Sooner Table

New Project! I am working on a commission piece for someone without him knowing it. What?? I had a very nice local couple donate some wood to me for my art cause. As a surprise thank you, I am making a coffee table for the gentleman's game room. He is a huge OU fan and since I'm a fan/alumni/professor it was pretty easy to think of an idea for him. 

The plan: I was given some wood that was used in a local bowling alley. It is solid beautiful maple wood that is very sturdy and great for furniture. I plan on using some of the wood to create the top and legs. I will top it with blasted glass. 

 For those who don't know, I'm a huge sports logo geek. So I decided to take 5 of OU's history logos and I will blast them into the glass top. The 'crimson' will come from the wood table top being stained.

Bowling alley wood is way more dense then I would have imagined. This is the original 6 foot by 4 foot by 2.5 inches thick section and it took 2 guys to move it. It's a little rough, but its had 20 lb bowling balls thrown at it for decades. 

I have chopped it down to 4 feet and 16" wide. I pulled out the nails and used clean edges. I added strength with screws and glue between every row. After rough sanding (60 grit) down to the bare wood, it was very beautiful. 


What a bloody mess? After rough sanding, there were still cracks, spacing and pits that I wanted to have smooth. I used a mahogany filler because I am going to stain the top a deep cherry.  This looks worse that it really is. After I sand the extra off, it will be hard to notice.

Ok, I'm a couple OU games behind on this project, but I hope to have it done before Bedlam. More to come.
Boomer Sooner!!

No comments:

Post a Comment