Monday, October 31, 2011

Table Part 2

After some time away due due to business, I'm back in the shop. We left off with the table top covered in red putty. After a bunch of sanding, you can barely see where the red is. 

Many more hours went into sanding the top, sides and putting and sanding the bottom. 
Finally, it was time for the color. I decided to try a Stain Gel with a "Georgian Cherry" color. They didn't a have an Oklahoma Crimson available.
You apply it heavily to the top. It looks like I poured paint on and let it stand for 15 minutes. After a lot of rags, staining my hands (use gloves!) and a 2nd coat the next day...
I think it looks great. It's now a deep crimson and a great backdrop for the glass etchings.

Legs
This table will be put in a game room that already has bowling alley wood as the floor (it totally looks sweet!) I wanted this piece to tie the maple floors to the OU theme so the legs will stay the natural color and will "disappear" with the floor making the table top "float."
Using the left overs from the top and a long section of alley I start chopping.

5 sections will make 2 legs. Some assembly required (as usual).

You might remember that I mentioned this wood is very dense and can be hard to work with, but it also has hundreds of 3" nails hiding throughout it. Typically I find them the hard way and yank them out. So the 2 legs above are being glued and then a lot of sanding begins on them. 

Next up is finishing the legs, mounting the legs to the top and the important glass feature. 
I see the end nearing and I hope to get this done pretty quickly. Thanks for coming by and more coming soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment