Thursday, January 27, 2011

glass and oil

I wasn't happy with the look of the glass after my first blasting session, so I decided to try a new blasting gun and hit it again. 
It looks way better. Here the vinyl is off 

Since the glass is bigger than my blasting cabinet, I have to go to my secret place to blast (bat cave). That also means I need to wear protection or media gets everywhere. This outfit scares the dogs too!

I wanted to find the perfect finish, so I tried out 3 different ones on scrap pieces of cherry from the sculpture. Top is Danish Oil, middle is wipe-on poly and bottom is tung oil. Such a huge difference, lol. I chose the Danish Oil.

I have added the finish to the front of the sculpture. This gets the finish first because I need to mount the glass and glue the last 3 pieces on and this is the section underneath the glass. Then I will final sand the edges and oil the rest of the sculputre. I think the finish looks great and I cant wait to finish it up. You can really see the difference in the wood where the oil is and is not. 

Almost there everyone, thanks for following.

No comments:

Post a Comment